Tuesday, March 23, 2010

All the ladies, Little ladies

So, Monday night I made my first trip to bottletree and can I begin by saying that is the best venue in the area. It has a great bar and the place seem to be tailor made for intellectuals and music lovers everywhere. My buddy Neal and I met an interesting couple from Huntsville. The woman has an entire art collection of gnomes and clowns paintings that she created. After a few beers the music began.

DJ Coco opened the set and there was one guy standing up and heading bombing while we are all getting sexed in the eyes by the visuals he had playing in the background while he played his tracks. It was neat, but it was keeping me from seeing We are Scientist, which is the whole reason I was there in the first place. What I did not know that a band was going to follow him that would instantly catch my interest...

Drink up Buttercup is a band from Philadelphia that is tagging along with WAS for the tour. I don't know if any description I provide for them could give them justice, but I will try. It was like early 60's psychedelic rock had sex with Phantom Planet, Elvis, and you can throw John Lennon and Paul in there too. They were incredible. They had decapitated manikin heads on their drum set and keys, which helped to encase the crazy atmosphere they were trying to provide. They were heavily liquored and the singer is a dead ringer for Zack Galifinakis. The best part of the band was every member possessed the capability of operatic vocals. Several times in the set they would back away from their mics and just sing out producing a sensation I could only compare to ear sex. Needless to say, I bought their cd that came out today. It is just as good, but seeing them live puts their music in a different perspective.

We are Scientists went on at 12 and played for an hour. They were exactly as I expected them to be. They opened up with two or three new songs from their forthcoming new album. They were great songs and I cannot wait to own them so I can become more familiar, but I was there to move and belt out lyrics and they delivered that opportunity in spades. They rocked out their well known hits such as "Nobody Move, Nobody Gets Hurt," "Impatience," and "After Hours" amongst many others. It fluttered my fan boy heart and I can chalk them up as one of the few live acts I see that get to retain me as a fan. Sometimes I am put off by certain bands' asshole attitude and/or their rude fan base. They played their songs, seemed like they were having a fun time doing so in front of a small crowd, and the stage commentary they shared was hilarious. There was one interesting occurrence that is worth noting...

There was a very peculiar girl at the show who I assume was my age, but I don't think she was there for the bands. She was just there to have fun with the douche bags she walked in with and sometimes that is ok. But, half way into WAS' set, she started rolling around the walls of the venue in what I can only assume was her attempt at avoiding to throw up. At one point, to the singer of WAS' disgust, she grabbed the singer's beer from next to his foot during a song and chugged it before setting it back down. All can be said about all that is: I was at a bar.

Great show at a great venue that I cannot wait to return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment